AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New straight wall cartridge introduced by Winchester today at
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 1/22/2019 02:34 (#7263005 - in reply to #7262973)
Subject: RE: New straight wall cartridge introduced by Winchester today at

Different tastes I guess. I’m not a fan of heavy recoiling guns anymore. And 903 lbs at 200 yards is weak? Really??? I suppose the .44 magnum must be really, really weak then, as the 240 grain Remington JHP has 741 lbs. at the muzzle! The several big mature does I shot with my .44 revolver never made it past 40 yards, several dropping in their tracks. A couple were even with my .44 special handloads. I don’t know why guys think deer are so hard to kill. I’ll guarantee the biggest mule deer alive will succumb quickly with a proper hit with this cartridge at 200 yards. They don’t need to be deader than dead for me. I’ll simply just settle for dead. If my wish comes true on the .411 legend, I wouldn’t hesitate on taking it on an Elk hunt. 300 grain Hornady interlock out of that cartridge is gonna be pretty serious elk medicine. Just like this cartridge with a 180 grain Speer HotCor is gonna flatten deer in the hands of a good rifleman. Or step up to a Hawk 230 grain for caribou sized game.I have a Henry in 45/70 with a 24” barrel. And it’s a great gun too, for Buffalo that is. Way too big and clumsy for me for a woods gun. Even tho it’s rimless, I suspect Winchester and Henry will come out with a lever in this cartridge, as this will be way to popular not too.. Browning most assuredly will in the BLR. The major advantage, and a rather big one at that, to using a bolt action is the ability to use spire point bullets vs flat nose in tubular magazines. But I still prefer a lever by far, and prolly won’t need to wait too long. I’ll simply hand load some good spire point 180’s, and one in the chamber and one in the magazine is all I’d ever need. Curious tho, why do you need so many rounds in a deer gun?

Edited by Boone & Crockett 1/22/2019 07:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)