AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good post below, new twist, cost to live
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JD4230
Posted 1/18/2019 08:20 (#7253280 - in reply to #7253142)
Subject: RE: Good post below, new twist, cost to live

I’m going to get on my soap box for a minute. I’m a young starting out farmer. (And no none of my family farms or has land or anything other than my grandpa has two tractors I can borrow). I’ve been shopping around a little for $20,000 or less tractor (30 series JD) a lot of people say that’s to much tractor because they “started with a 4020 (or whatever)” which was less than 10 years old at the time and I’m classified as a too good young farmer because I want to buy a 40 some year old tractor.

They bought 40-60-80-100 acres plus farms the day they started and they think we should rent patches for 20 years to have the opportunity to buy a farm. They were buying 5 year old pickups when they started while mine is 16 and has 225,000 miles on it. But I’m a snot nosed young farmer.

I’m not trying to put all farmers older than I into a circle but it’s something I notice here and outside. Someone posts their cost of living and someone else says to do without everything so you can be like them. We don’t have cable tv. Both vehicles are over 200,000 miles. No trash pickup. No internet. Only phones. We don’t go to the movies or out to eat or on vacations anywhere other than to her fathers that is a dairy farmer. So we work on vacation. Family watches our daughter so we don’t have to pay as much.

A 1,000 sq ft home on 2 acres with a little garage on the edge of town is $150,000.

All areas are different but one thing is the same your always wrong because someone else thinks their numbers are better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)