AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Veterans, sound off!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 11/11/2018 09:22 (#7098876 - in reply to #7098818)
Subject: RE: Veterans, sound off!

Kingston,Mi
US army '72 to 75, drafted in 1968, 1969 and 1971. First 2 times I had enough college credits to be current and continued my deferred status, the draft lottery number was low enough to let me know I was likely to go. Oct. of 1971 they noticed they hadn't drafted me recently and were kind enough to send me an invitation. I ask for and received an extension to graduate in Dec of 1971. Sure, we got you anyway, what does it matter if it is Nov. or January. Ask if I could enlist, NO!, you are drafted. Went up stairs to the recruiting offices and ask the Army recruiter who replied "yes, you can volunteer up until you are sworn in". So I volunteered to train as a generator operator with the aim of being on a Pershing missile site in Germany (Pershings were only stationed in Germany). Better opportunities came along and I never went to Germany, served the 3 years at Ft. Belvoir Va. Next 2 brothers with high draft numbers joined as soon as they completed trade school or college to protect each other by the Sullivan rule, Chris served 5 years active in the Air Force in North Dakota and the Philippines and Glen served 20 years as an officer in SAC. Youngest brother went into the Army as a driver in 1978 and served 21 years.

Dad and all but 1 uncle served in WW2, another uncle served in the Korean Conflict. Dad was born in 1920 and had 3 possibly more of his first cousins and several uncles in WW1.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)