AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smoking a turkey.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ocfarms
Posted 11/10/2018 06:44 (#7096568 - in reply to #7096137)
Subject: RE: Smoking a turkey.

Kankakee, IL
We raise and sell (give away mostly) a group of 50 pastured turkey every year. There is always one or two left in the freezer that I make early in November. I just finished the last practice bird last night. My experience says these tips have helped me immensely.

1. I smoke on my regular gas grill on low heat (250-275). Much better control of heat with the gas. i simply place large chunks of hickory below the grate at the front edge of the grill. Plenty of smoke for what you want to do.
2. Brine that bird for 24 hours. Bird will take on extra moisture to keep that sucker moist.
3. I place a large aluminum foil pan below the bird filled with water. It will catch all the drippings and provide moisture below the bird.
4. Cut the cartilage around the knuckle on the leg. If you cut this pre cooking you can pull most of the leg meat off with little effort. i believe Pastured birds have tougher tendons and ligaments and you'll be glad you did this.
5. Leave all the extra skin from the neck on the bird, seal that thing up.
6. Rotate very little, once per hour is plenty. I start with the breast up to harden the breast skin then I rotate carefully trying not to tear the skin coating.
7.Once done wrap it in foil and let it sit, breast side down, for atleast half an hour.
8. Make soup with the smoked carcass when you're done, you'll be glad you did.

Enjoy!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)