AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Somebody is making money in hogs--but not the producer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Abomb
Posted 9/1/2018 08:36 (#6962947 - in reply to #6962773)
Subject: RE: Somebody is making money in hogs--but not the producer

There was one that got pretty big into the niche thing not far from us, it only lasted a few years. The premium sounded great, but then when the company only would take so many at a time he was left with no option but to sell his overflow at the buying station for next to nothing. The hit he took on those eroded any premium he got on the others and then some.

Doing the retail works for some guys, like farmers market and such, but I don’t think it would pan out to great out here in the boonies, just not enough demand. Also the work to do it that way is another limiting factor.

There’s a dairy an hour away that bottles their own milk and sells it that way, I’m not sure how much of their production is sold that way though. They’ve made a pretty good brand for themselves and are even selling it in the Hyvee store here. I’ve sometimes wondered about something like that how hard it would be to do with pork and how much it would actually make. Think something like buy a fed inspected locker, do custom beef processing to stay busy if theirs not enough demand to stay full production on pigs. Don’t do anything special with raising the pigs other than now the consumer knows where it come from and it would be fresh pork. Getting in a fed inspected locker then I could sell through local grocery stores, so it would be convenient for people to buy and I wouldn’t have to deal with consumers 1 on 1. Something I’ll probably ponder for the next couple decades and never do.

Edited by Abomb 9/1/2018 09:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)