AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting tire tank observations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 7/30/2018 21:33 (#6902507)
Subject: Interesting tire tank observations

NS Canada
So the usual - tank started growing green algae earlier in the season, so threw some goldfish in it. They cleared up the stringers of algae and just a brown scuzz stuck to the sides, no problem. I never feed the fish, they just live on what ever is in the tanks.

Anyways, one of the fish looked bloated up bigger than it should have been, and was floating around at the top of of the tank last week, If I poked it it would swim to the bottom normally, but then come up and lay on its side at the surface again. A quick google search said something about fish bladder disease - I didnt figure I'd get the vet in for it, but it did mention putting a few peas in the water for them to eat. Well at supper the other night I had some peas and corn, so I pushed a few of each aside and threw them in the tank.

The fish was dead the next day, damn shame.. But here's the interesting part - the peas seemed to disappear but the corn sat on the bottom several days. Well its been quite hot and muggy here lately - and then all of a sudden yesterday I noticed the cattle all standing around the tank, but wouldn't drink out of it. I opened them up to another pond, and they all ran over and drank.. But they wouldn't drink out of the tire.

Now there was only maybe 8 kernels of corn in there, thats the only thing that changed... I drained it and scrubbed it out, once I disturbed all the brown scuzz there was some smell to it, but I couldn't tell any difference before that water was clear and cool.

So no idea what their problem was with the water, but thats the only thing that changed was throwing that corn in there? There's 30 pair on that tank, so the water will be cycled daily, its not sitting for long periods. Oh and gravity fed out in the middle of no where - so no voltage issues or anything like that.

Edited by Supa Dexta 7/30/2018 21:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)