AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A June like none other
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/17/2018 10:35 (#6817262 - in reply to #6816113)
Subject: RE: A June like none other

southern MN
OSUBucks - 6/16/2018 14:47

Looking back at records since 1896 we're on pace from the forecast to average 4.5 degrees above normal in the cornbelt, and an inch above normal precip for the cornbelt.

The kicker is, we've never even had one year that was over 2 degrees normal for the month AND even have above average precip for that month at all let alone an inch over(if the forecast verifies)!

The only year remotely close and its not close because we had almost 3 inches above normal and just 2 degrees above normal temp is 2010.

Every other year above 2 degrees and especially 3 degrees over was way below average on precip for the month of June. The chance of this happening with high high temps and high precip is insanely out of the ordinary.

What does it mean for yield? No idea in June, July or August different story.

My little part of the corn belt was terribly cold spring, April was far colder than May and June are warm. Next week is supposed to be in the 70s. So I'm not sure about the heat you speak of? In my little part of the corn belt.

Took a 100 mile trip yesterday, seemed every 80 was missing 2-5 acres of crop from the drownouts. Very widespread. On a typical year the low ground is the most productive here. That high yield spot is zero this year. Perhaps the high sandy spots are looking better this year for now, but August always knocks those back to 'average.' With the very late cold spring, corn and beans sure look small. Lot of corn far from canopying yet, beans just emerging.

Not sure what any of it means, but what a miserable year so far, things look pretty tough to me. But I know it's only my small corner of the Midwest.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)