AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Killing the crop groundrules
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

McHusker
Posted 4/18/2018 12:01 (#6717343)
Subject: Killing the crop groundrules

Nebraska aka the boondocks
Since anytime someone mentions conditions in their area, inevitably they will be labeled a crop killer, I wonder when it is appropriate to mention conditions in one's area? I read an article this morning that Arkansas may be starting to replant corn, can we talk about that? Can we ask how much snow there is in northern iowa or Minnesota today? Can we ask about analog years? Can we ask if planting beans early to gain more sunlight to raise our yields or the inverse of planting late and thus losing yield? What is the appropriate number of bushels to take off of trend to not be "crop killing?" 1, 2, .5 zero? Do we wait until after july 15, when the market is dead, or do we wait til jan for the final production report? Last year Nebraska had an unreal amount of dropped ears, I called FSA and asked who is counting the corn on the ground? They said nobody, but call NASS in Lincoln, I did... Same question, same answer. Interesting to me that the county yield for my county and other areas, never changed, even though huge amounts of grain was lost to father time, after the final yield estiamte. At the end of the day, it would seem that we are not suppose to ask questions, just take our medicine and like it... or on the other hand, maybe we should ask more questions. If somebody tells me to plant earlier, or sends out article after article about how all these things "increase" yields, you can bet when the inverse happens, then I will ask, doesn't that mean they then should go down. After last years "lack of answers to questions," I have added 12 more tin foil hats to my closet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)