AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the market telling us to raise?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 10/4/2017 08:53 (#6286594 - in reply to #6286430)
Subject: RE: What is the market telling us to raise?

Kooiker - 10/4/2017 07:22

Boone & Crockett - 10/4/2017 03:36 Unfortunatly, Kooiker, nobody HAS to do anything. And not everyone is going to stay in business. The strong will survive, flourish, and prosper. The weak will get trampled. I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy because of the endless (and I might as well say mindless) building of confinement buildings. When is enough going to be enough in the hog industry? At least in grains, there is a point where it's pretty hard to exceed. The hog industry needs another bloodbath to stop this senseless continued expansion.

You know after I wrote that I knew that someone would point out exactly what you just said and I agree, we are not guaranteed a profitable price anymore than the grain guys are.

But I still stand by the fact that someone has to pay a price that is profitable for everyone that is involved in the raising of the hog and processing the hog otherwise the industry will contract in size triggering the bloodbath (where guys sell assets for dimes/$ and contracts on new finishing buildings are void because the guy that owned the hogs went bankrupt).

I disagree about there being a point in grains that is hard to exceed, yields will continue to go up.    In another decade 200 bpa corn on good ground in Iowa will be looked upon as a poor crop just like 150 bpa is now.

My brother and I had a discussion recently that was triggered by the threads about the checkoff programs and all of the complaints about them.   
He said that its a never ending cycle where the checkoff groups garner more demand and producers produce more so prices never go up. 

My contention is that we are going to produce more grains through increased yields (and that will flow through to increased ethanol/livestock production) and we need more demand just to maintain prices never mind increasing price.

Raising a Plus 15 billion bushel corn crop on a consistent year after year basis is not going to be easy to accomplish. The low hanging fruit for easy yield gains is pretty much gone. I don't see us blowing through a 15 billion bushel crop like nothing anytime soon, that's why I am saying there is somewhat of an upper limit to grain production, and I'd say 15 is pretty close to the number. The hog industry just doesn't seem to realize there comes a point where the market is totally saturated. But I want the manure, so let's throw up another building or two. My Dad always said he never lost money on hogs if he valued the manure high enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)