AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would this be fair?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DestinedforDiesel
Posted 2/27/2017 11:29 (#5866437 - in reply to #5866399)
Subject: RE: Would this be fair?

If you want this to be as fair as possible, get them boys to start buying your land NOW. My family had more kids than you, but the ones that farmed opted to protect the others from inflation by not buying it until after they had to separate stuff out.

Do you think that good will helps the guy who did it? No, because good will is neither tangible nor as interesting as dollar signs.

It's in their best interest that you put some fire under them and say they should probably start buying your major assets or saving up for them unless you're willing to write the others out of the will as far as land goes. It's very difficult to separate land out compared to money.

As far as the rest goes, I'd do percentages of calf crop so that you can also do percentages for costs. Teach them the small details if you haven't already and go over the Financials with them. Anybody can raise cow/calf. Not everybody can make it pencil and that's the whole point.

Fairness is all about perception. You helping out the sons who want to farm now and getting things transferred over to them now won't create any hard feelings and you can stay 100% involved. My advice is simply don't leave the farm to be split up or your kids will end up like many families...split up and broken. It kills me to see how money can ruin relationships among kin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)