AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much downpessure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/23/2017 23:08 (#5859334 - in reply to #5858109)
Subject: RE: How much downpessure

Driftless SW Wisconsin

chadlit - 2/23/2017 12:34 ...Running a hydraulic downforce setup will cost you more money than what it's worth at todays prices. My 2 cents.

With all due respect, when prices are down is when you need to look at ways to cut costs and improve yields at the same time. It's all in the ROI.

A uniform stand emerging behind the planter x the number of acres many folks are covering with a planter can be the cheapest way to improve profitability.

An hydraulic downforce system  is obviously not going to have the same ROI for everyone in all systems.  And please don't quote the Iowa State study. I haven't got time nor the impropriety to critique that right now.

As mentioned above, in a large acreage/no till or stale seedbed planting in many varying soil conditions, a simple hydraulic down pressure system can have an EXCELLENT return on the investment. The system does NOT need to be a full blown row by row control.  Starting with a 3 section system as I described above can be a cost effective way to start.

As far as sensor durability, let's just say that there are a number of different ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes.

over and out on this one.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)