AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just dodged a bullet.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/10/2017 09:48 (#5829981 - in reply to #5829863)
Subject: negotiation vs ultimatum

Pittsburg, Kansas
1234 - 2/10/2017 07:50

I, myself have personal rule that I try to follow. It is: know the answer before you ask the question. Don't leave the answer up to the other party.

Good points. But the part of the quote above assumes one thing. You already know everything and leave no room to change as new informatiin comes forward. It works as long as you are always right.

I figure if I reach the point I am always right, I must be God. And the real God might take a dim view of my newfound position. So I always approach subjects (or negotiations) as if there still might be information to learn.

Might be why I'm not that great of a negotiator. But my negotiations mostly end up with both parties finding it an acceptable (even if not optimum) solution.

Entering into a negotiation inflexible is sometimes necessary, when principals or safety is involved. But the consequenses of the inflexibility need also be acknowleged if the negotaition ends up unsuccessful. Because an inflexible party really means it is an ultimatum rather than a negotiation. It is best to know the difference and the potential consequences.

John

Edited by John Burns 2/10/2017 09:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)