AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2600 display burned in fire?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 1/22/2017 23:23 (#5787349 - in reply to #5787308)
Subject: RE: 2600 display burned in fire?

roaming
paul the original - 1/22/2017 21:27

I'm rather backwards with technology on the farm. Most of my stuff is 1980s vintage.

I do pretty good with computers, have kept up with those, used to sell them back in the 80s even.

Anyhow, what really is an 'activation' anyhow? I think the ag business world is really behind on what computers and technology could do, when I read these theeads, it appears the big hitters in the ag world are attempting to keep control and keep selling old technology at cutting edge prices.....

Anyhow, what is an 'activation'?

Is it like a software serial number licence as Microsoft sells with Windows 10?

Or is it a piece of hardware?

Or is it a software program itself?

I understand the answers here, JD says you need to buy an activation every time you sneeze, but..... What is it you are buying?

Paul

An activation is typically a code that is entered into a controller to "activate" additional features within the software that is running in the controller. The idea is that it allows a company to sell one piece of hardware at a single price point, and then the user can pay for the software features they need. i.e. you buy a receiver, and then pay for the accuracy level you want. hardware is cheap, but software is expensive to develop, so the alternative is to sell only fully-functional software, which would be to expensive for many users and would contain features they don't want or need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)