AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Tests and Phos question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 10/25/2016 05:35 (#5598779)
Subject: Soil Tests and Phos question

Manitoba
I know that phos can be tied up in the soil but always questioned the test value being the same thing as the phos being available to the plant. eg: you have a field with a low phos level and you apply a heavy application (multi year rate) and subsequent year soil test does not show increase or does not increase nearly to the level to reflect the amount applied.

is the soil test level a real indicator of what the plant can access in this case or is the plant "better" or more capable of getting the phos it needs from the soil than the soil test is capable of reading.

maybe a stupid question but wondering if both are the same. I have some strange soil test results this year and wondering how to manage some of it. soil tests are geo referenced (think that is the term) so tests are from the same spots so should increase the reliability. or so I am told. I have been trying to split up my acres to apply multi year rates on smaller portions of my land in order to cut custom app rates and this had led to the question.

hope that makes sense. rather than hit every acre every year I would like to split up my land so I only apply fert to about a third of the acres in any given year but apply 3x the rate. thinking was if I go this route I can cut my custom app costs by a third but my actual fert costs will be equal in any given year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)