AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

RampageRanch
Posted 10/11/2016 21:34 (#5576538 - in reply to #5576494)
Subject: RE: cattle

niobrara nebraska
A ton of cattle are fed in that county/area. So I assume this is a over 5,000 head lot going down? Probably closer to 50-100,000? I've been saying it for awhile don't know how these places can have 3-5 turns straight of losing big dollars. I know in the last 2 years, NONE of the yearlings we sold would pencil by our figures. Don't care if it is Lot owned cattle or investor owned. Someone is losing BIG money. I know it is said on here I will just custom feed and no worries, but what happens when the cattle are sold and the bank takes the entire check? Sooner of later the feedlot gets stuck. Even if it is just the last 30 days on feed. You are not the first lein by being the guy feeding those cattle. Been hearing rumblings up this way as well when I was into the bank. Sad thing is the banker should be more comfortable loaning money on 750 dollar a head feeder cattle. But it sounded like it is at a point of NO WAY are we loaning anymore money on feeder cattle, unless you have free land to back up the loan. Really tempting to want and go buy some cattle to feed along with our own. First time I've said that since cattle started going up in 13. That being said I feel like we are vested enough in cattle and put my cash in something non-farm related to diversify. As they say hogs get slaughtered. Just feel like there has been a lot of hogs trying to feed on this cattle business in northeast Nebraska. I know there are some calves getting weaned right now out of pastures next to us that won't pay the pasture rent/trucking bill to get them home if they are sold this week off of the cows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)