AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9770 Fixed Speed Drive and Shelling Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/8/2016 07:40 (#5516581 - in reply to #5516496)
Subject: RE: 9770 Fixed Speed Drive and Shelling Corn

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
farmboy99 - 9/8/2016 05:57

My bet it the reverser was hot because the belt was slipping. The belt was slipping becuase it was not correctly tensioned. Read in the operator manuel the correct tensioning process. The idler pulley adjustment is not what determines the belt tension. This is going by memory for me as I used to own a JD 9670 but now have the s series with the 5 speed feederhouse.

I know from experience that a chopping corn head doesn't allow for the belt to be poorly tensioned!!

Did you put in synthetic oil in the reverser? It is a good idea but if you change often, regularly, (yearly??) 80-90 GL5 could be OK.

Good luck, Jim J

All good points. When I traded for a 9770 last year with a chopping head, I made sure the combine had the 5 speed feeder house. When I was at the local dealer's combine clinic, they had the covers off of the chain drive for each side on a chopping head. The roller chains were massive and all that is driven by the edges of the single variable speed belt in many cases. Having a fixed speed feederhouse or getting the five speed option where a multi-groove belt is used helps the situation.

The belt tension is very important. Do not use the idler to adjust the tension. As it is moved, it tends to pull the belt away from the driven sheave. The owner's manual describes the correct procedure.

Using the high priced synthetic oil is the rule around here. The dealers will change it every year although the owner's manual lists this as an 800 hour change. I was alarmed to find my reverser apparently overfull when I checked it a couple of weeks ago. It turns out to be fine. Since I parked my combine with the feederhouse in the down position, oil from the cooler drained back into the reverser housing. Raising the head up and running it for a while caused the oil to be moved back to the cooler. The oil level was then showing a slight bit low so I added some.

Edited by tedbear 9/8/2016 07:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)