AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wifi from house to shop ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 8/8/2016 18:41 (#5458034 - in reply to #5456958)
Subject: RE: Wifi from house to shop ?

Central Nebraska

dewgubbe - 8/7/2016 23:02 Just throwing this out there as it might not work for everyones situation. You could have an underground sprinkler guy come in with his vibratory plow and put in some 1" water line, then use it like a conduit for a cat5 cable. Or you could pull fiber optic in. I think his handle is golfnut, from Nebraska, who is well versed in this. Fiberoptic has advantages over the cat5, he could fill you in on. I went about 150' from house to garage with cat5 in a water line conduit.

Thanks for the plug dewgubbe!  You are correct that fiber would be the absolute best solution but in reality for what us farmers need a point to point bridge using radios will do everything we need, and then some.  For a 300' distance I'd probably go with a couple NanoBeam 5ghz AC radios.  You'd be able to max out their capacity at that distance and push in excess of 450 mb/sec across the link.  To actually realize that your going to need gigabit switch hardware along with hard wired gigabit network drops.  Wireless networking in your house or place of business tends to max out at 300 mb/second THEORETICAL throughput.

A lot of people have contacted me online recently asking what is needed to do this and I'm more than happy to help and offer free information but there is a lot that goes into these links and lots of different answers depending on the situations.  The short answer is two radios (I prefer Ubiquiti) to make the link and you're done.  The long answers is two radios of the correct frequency using an appropriate channel and set to the appropriate transmit and receive power.  Next you need the correct ethernet cable and to be able to terminate it correctly (grounded).  From there you need to have the appropriate level of networking understanding to be able to configure the radios correctly.

I spent days reading online initially to learn about the products and lean on my 12 years of network administration for the networking knowledge.  I'm still an idiot compared to the pros. It is really difficult on this forum to cover all the necessary information to to setup a stable link.  If people want to learn how this stuff works and set it up for themselves I suggest going to Ubiquiti's Wiki page and finding the Beanstalk articles and/or visiting their community forum.  In the past three years I've probably set up 50 different radios so I'm fairly confident in my abilities but the guys on the Ubiquiti forums are really good.  Lots of them own and operate wireless ISPs and make a living off this stuff.

If you decide to go fiber I believe you'll want single mode fiber and make sure you get it long enough and pre-terminated.  Then you'll need switches with SFP ports and the appropriate SFP adapters for your switch and cable.  I'm a newbie with fiber stuff.  Had my first experience with it this spring when I linked two switches in my basement with it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)