AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wifi from house to shop ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 8/8/2016 07:42 (#5457143 - in reply to #5456958)
Subject: Fiber better than copper

I've posted this from previous experience several times - so I apologize to those who read this an roll their eyes over the repeat.

When running network connectivity between two buildings, you will be by far better using fiber. Ground-fault differential issues - the quality of the electrical systems in the two buildings - can cause very, very minor surges of electricity to flow down your network copper from one building to the other, and thus burning out network switching equipment. Fiber uses light, and is the fastest connectivity between the buildings. Wireless works and keeps ground-fault differential issues at bay, but is much slower.

Depending on your budget for this one-time investment, I would encourage you to consider burying plastic water-pipe between the buildings as the "inter-duct" - then you can easily update the fiber. Plus the inter-duct provides protection should you dig near the line and get too close.

Use a vacuum cleaner and carpenter string to get a pull-string through the inter-duct. You can then also pull a single light-weight copper wire through the pipe so utility locators can energize the line should you need to locate the pipe in the distant future.

NEXT - Fiber optic switching equipment - I personally endorse HP Pro-Curve switches with gBic ports. You can buy Pro-Curve's off eBay for very cheap prices, they come with a life-time warranty, plus HP is very good about keeping the firmware updated. The links below are for a HP 2650 switch which features 50 ports (way more than you will need) and is a real work-horse. You will need two of these switches, one on each end of the fiber, plus a pair of gBic modules - one on each switch - make sure you're getting the proper connectors - in this case SX-LC - on your fiber.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-HP-ProCurve-Switch-2650-j48...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HP-PROCURVE-J4858B-SFP-Gigabit-SX-L...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)