AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal building house vs. stick built
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kenabcd
Posted 10/23/2016 10:59 (#5595875 - in reply to #5595765)
Subject: RE: Metal building house vs. stick built

Cokato MN
In a closer picture, it just looks bigger. No extra trim or colors, pretty seamless. It is pretty plain from the outside, but once inside, you notice the large granite counters, and ceramic or granite floors, regular drywall with high ceilings and forget the large open home you are in is a Morton building. You do remember Morton when you get the utility bill each month and wonder what to do with the extra money.

It was (at the time) much cheaper than stick built. We looked at both ways had quotes done, I think it was about 30/40% less than stick build, maybe cause of the foundation work?

Ours sits on a heated slab. No basement, so we had to figure out another place to keep our spiders and moldy cement.

The utility room is structural framed with no outside walls in case of a storm we could use it as a storm shelter, although the home is so well insulated, we miss hearing the wind and rain outside and sleep thru most weather. It is quieter than a stick built home.

The building is as straight as any I have seen. Around here, Morton has their own long term employee crews, one of the guys building ours was second generation and taught by his father. They have their own systems, jigs and methods.

As I said in the last post, it is hard to put a value on having a building put up and sealed in one week, no wet wood to dry for the first 6 months, we were lucky, ours never got rained on during the week of construction of the shell. We are about 8 years into it, couldn't think of building anything else

If you had them put it up and did everything inside yourself once they had it sealed up, that may be the cheapest way to go. It's a pole shed built to exceed every residential code no problem.

I think some could have problems with financing or building permits when they try and use the old machine shed and convert it or don't go with someone like Morton who has architects stamp the plans.

Ken
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)