AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal building house vs. stick built
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kenabcd
Posted 10/22/2016 20:50 (#5595001 - in reply to #5343724)
Subject: RE: Metal building house vs. stick built

Cokato MN
We built (or had built) a Morton 42 x 48 home with a 400sqft loft in 2008, bad year for building, everyone said we were crazy cause the sky was falling.

The cost to have frame, doors, windows and insulation and extra insulation was about 48,000.00 We went with extra thick walls, best windows and large overhangs. Lots of glass on the south, not so much on the north.

There were so many cool options to choose from including a second color on the bottom, river rock façade, cupolas, but we stuck with the basics. There is a push to upsell, come on, it's your house. Ours looks pretty plain on the outside....

We did a geothermal field with in floor heat, forced air geothermal for heat and AC , and a propane back up. that cost about 25,000.00 but Obama paid a third. The highest heat bill we have had is about 54.00 one month. I think about 300/400 per year for heat and AC for the last 5 years.

The interior framing was about 15,000.00 including sheetrock and extra ceiling insulation, Pick whatever shape you want, there is no loadbearing wall except the loft support. Most ceilings are 10'.We did the entire floor in ceramic tile or granite, about 2000 sqft, under 2.00 per foot.

The cement work was 20,000.00 including the 42x 64 shed floor and 4' aprons around both buildings.

5000.00 for a well.

8500.00 for the septic system.

10,000.00 for the site prep and driveway.

I am sure there are other things.

The Morton company furnished certified plans to the wife's design. The bank liked it, the building inspector loved it and said, if anyone is going to build this style and do not use Morton, they are screwing up. He had seen others and his only questions were things like, why are they using such deep holes for the pilings and why so much cement? The plan called for it, built to their design. It is overbuilt, it went up in 1 week and was insulated and watertight.

I see so many do it yourself things sit thru many rain storms that I think having it up and sealed in a week is a overlooked benefit.

I do not know what to add in for the $$ per square foot, the 800' driveway that crosses a creek could have been lots cheaper if we built on the front of the 40, but we didn't want that.

I think 4 bed 2 bath, lifetime siding and roof, super cheap utilities, depending on what you add for the house and what the shed, lot add or subtract.

We recently had our Morton shed/house refinanced (thru VA, a benefit I used) and we were surprised how much the value has gone up since building it. The appraiser has no issues with the construction and said that it is just like a regular home for valuation purposes. The VA underwriter did not care. When we built it, the bank was only interested that it was up to residential code.

We built it in 08/09 and it has gone up every year, even as other home prices in the area were crashing. Contractors needed work and offered good prices for the work.

The fact that the outside skin is sealed so well and will never need any attention other than hosing it off occasionally is also a benefit.
The inside the house it is difficult to tell from any other house, some exceptions are that the windows have a 8" sill around them due to super insulation, the ceilings are higher, and it is more open design.

(home view.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments home view.JPG (75KB - 127 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)