AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Boom went the dynamite
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 5/27/2016 09:26 (#5323160 - in reply to #5323127)
Subject: Quick update.

I was on the drought bandwagon all last winter.. and do subscribe to the AMO/PDO that weather 360 is including in their "21 cycles that we analyze.." so I give them credence for that..

My one contact has been big on the AMO/PDO but says that it's "out there.. in the future.. probably at some point.."  The one thing I have learned from following him is that.. Ma Nature does things on her schedule and that even following the ENSO cycle (El Nino La Nina..) that it can be trumped by other factors.. and it can take LONGER than we expect..

Which leads me to my second contact out at Dodge.. Jeff whom I have been linking his updates.. is looking more at the day to day stuff.. he has been correct that California wasn't going to see complete relief.. that the wet cycle from El Nino in the Southern US was temporarily interrupted by a blocking ridge out in the pacific.. that it has cleared.. and that we are in line for storms.. (boy howdie..!!!)

We got another.. .75"'ish last night with some wind.. probably some hail.. but mostly still beneficial.. haven't heard of anyone losing anything yet.. but some damage not too far away.. they got hammered east of us.. but we are still in grain fill for the wheat.. with some delayed (from earlier dryness) suckers that are trying to fill now.. so.. rain at this point.. "aint all bad.."

If it continues.. then.. the wheat may suffer but that could be good for the fall crops that are in.. we're 100% in but some are not.. most of the sorghum has yet to be planted.. but we got another month to get that in.

Jeff is saying that this wet pattern may hold before the La Nina dryness kicks in.. and that would fit with what I've followed along here recently.. seems like it always takes longer than they expect..  So I'm a little skeptical that we can flip all the way.. (uhum.. although I know that it can.. gulp.) from Wet to Dry.. but we're gonna have a lot of moisture to burn off now in order to get to dry.. a little dryer right now would actually be helpful.. as long as we don't go to 110 and stay there for the rest of the summer..  (which is what 360 is calling for.. so..??)

There's a beau coup amount of grain still to be picked up off the ground more or less delivered somewhere.. so.. I guess this is helping as some are holding for higher prices.. (and maybe getting them..??)  but golly it just feels like we got one more big crop coming.. 14.5 ish byn bu corn.. beau coup wheat.. and good start to sorghum.

but I reserve the right to come back and complain about heat and dryness later.. lol.

Golly we went to NOLA and brought the swamp back with us.. got to go bail some water now.. later. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)