AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ladder rotational grazing system - some more pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/16/2016 11:17 (#5304581)
Subject: Ladder rotational grazing system - some more pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

A week or so ago I showed some pics of the start of rotational grazing for the season in my ladder system.  Here are a few more pics to illustrate the system, particularly the single waterer installation and gradually moving cows across to come in the other side of the same strip they were in last week.

Last week this older cow group had worked in to the middle of a strip with daily moves of the lead cross wire.  After they go to the middle of that strip I close it off for at least 30 days for the grass to recover, which it is doing nicely.

As this is the first time across the top of the ladder and down the lane for the year, there was quite a bit of grass there which the cows cleaned up nicely, especially along the fence.  They spent one day in the lane going down the north side of the ladder and entered the north half of same strip they were in last week and will again work their way to the middle this week. I'll then close this strip off and they will move to the next one down the hill and graze that to the middle with daily, about 15 minute, move of the lead wire.

I was surprised to see all of them down, obviously very full, resting in the tall grass yesterday afternoon. One issue this time of year is getting the forage grazed before it starts getting stemmy and quality goes down.  Looks like this may be a good week to start cutting some hay in some paddocks. About 10 days earlier than usual.

Here are some pics I'll include one of a part of a heifer group at another location. Here I don't have as organized a system for several paddocks. These heifers will probably be in this grass for a couple days rather than daily moves.

This is the time of year when we wish we had more cows...then comes August. I think I could add quite a few more in this system though.

Edited by Jim 5/16/2016 11:25

(The top rung of the ladder after cows worked across waterer IMG 20 051316.jpg)

(North lane after cows worked down the lane excellent manure distribution IMG18 051416.jpg)

(Older cow group entering 2nd half of strip from the north IMG17 051416.jpg)

(Full cows resting in tall grass after move IMG023 051516.jpg)

(Heifer group on fresh paddock IMG027 051516.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments The top rung of the ladder after cows worked across waterer IMG 20 051316.jpg (114KB - 103 downloads)
Attachments North lane after cows worked down the lane excellent manure distribution IMG18 051416.jpg (120KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments Older cow group entering 2nd half of strip from the north IMG17 051416.jpg (138KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments Full cows resting in tall grass after move IMG023 051516.jpg (127KB - 98 downloads)
Attachments Heifer group on fresh paddock IMG027 051516.jpg (116KB - 91 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)