AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ground drive VS hydraulic drive planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lfreehauf
Posted 5/6/2016 06:16 (#5285357 - in reply to #5285179)
Subject: RE: Ground drive VS hydraulic drive planters

Ohio
Last year, we used a ground drive Kinze 3200.
This year is the first year with vDrive (electric drive) and Deltaforce powered by hydraulics.

While the jabs at hydraulics/electric drives are true, I like direction we took (w Precision Planting's vDrive & Delta). I could be happy with a "dialed in" good ground drive planter, if I knew it inside and out.

Pros of vDrives:
+ Row Clutching
+ variable rate &/or change rate from cab
+ changing seed varieties and seed size controlled from cab
+ fewer sprockets, chains, hex shafts
Pros of Delta force:
+ downforce adjusted on the go (appears to work as advertised). We have fields with various soil types. Nice to know Downforce is not drastically over or under anywhere. If I believe the monitor, it's just right.

Cons of vDrive and Delta
- Need a tractor with strong hydraulics
- vac fan a little loud
- need gps
- in one incident, a satellite signal reposition by 6 ft. Thus row clutching engaged 6 ft before end row. I figured it out (a liitle late). I shut off the swath (row clutch) and manually preformed same function for rest of field.
- other posters are accurate (stopping in field drops 4-5 seeds in an inch; and it doesn't prime the seed meter unless you perform a function at cab).

Like anything, all the cons can be eliminated or minimized with experience and knowledge. And I might be singing different tune when all the corn comes up (from this new planter config). We'll see. I understand and appreciate the Haters of the new stuff. Some days I'm in their camp.

If I had a do over, I get a decent used planter and add the PP stuff. But only with a good PP Dealer. I really like the PP Dealer we have now. The new PP Dealer makes rounds with us. He installed, configured and 'owned' the entire process.

Call if you want to discuss more 317.501.6620

Edited by lfreehauf 5/6/2016 08:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)