AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Internet Speeds - What's considered fast compared to what I have now ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Canucker
Posted 2/11/2016 15:04 (#5104330 - in reply to #5101940)
Subject: RE: Internet Speeds - What's considered fast compared to what I have now ?

At my previous residence I was paying for UP TO 7mbps and getting .7, same as you. I called support, had the techs out 2 or 3 times, they did everything they could, nothing else to sort out. Called support and was told that my 7mbps was "up to" and not guaranteed. I was offered to upgrade to an "up to 10mbps" package that was also not guaranteed, while being told the infrastructure was the reason I couldn't get up to 7. I'm not sure if the company I was dealing with was crooked, impressively stupid, or both. But if there isn't the infrastructure to get up to 7mbps, why would upgrading to the up to 10 package help...? Unfortunately, they were the only provider in the town.

Moved to the new place, where I now have guaranteed minimum speeds! I was so excited I went straight to the 10mbps package, and I actually get 9.5-10 consistently. It's a huge difference. Before, if I wanted to play games online I would literally have to shut off all other devices including no wifi on phones. ANY other trickling of data would tank things horribly. It still wasn't a good experience, but it was bearable. Now when I play games online, it's much faster, and there is usually my gf on the couch watching netflix on tv and youtube on her phone.

So yes, going from .7 to 5 is a big jump. At 5mbps you should be able to watch netflix and youtube at the same time with far far less buffering (if any) than you currently experience.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)