AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ground raised hogs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 2/8/2016 19:39 (#5097421 - in reply to #5097185)
Subject: RE: Ground raised hogs

NEIndiana - 2/8/2016 18:26 

Why are these getting so many negative comments? These were very common around here when I was a kid, there are a number still standing but none with hogs in them that I can think of.  

Most of the negative comments are coming from Northern/northwestern Iowa, I suspect our winters are a little different and longer than yours.

Hogs are in million $ buildings because guys started keeping better records and realized they couldn't afford to feed hogs outside when the competition moved inside.   The difference in labor and feed efficiency more than pays for the building.

Its like growing open pollinated corn without fertilizer vs the newest hybrids with commercial fertilizers.   Unless you have a niche market for a specialty product you can't afford to produce it.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief among those that are opposed to modern agriculture, the way hogs used to be raised was NOT the least bit environmentally friendly.

Getting a permit for a decent size livestock operation requires zero discharge, that's tough to do outside.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)