AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variable Rate Planting Prescriptions..Where to start?!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 12/16/2015 08:15 (#4963665 - in reply to #4962928)
Subject: RE: Variable Rate Planting Prescriptions..Where to start?!

I've never had much success trying to make a VR planting map that I liked by using yield maps alone. I have rolling hills like you, and I approached my VR planting prescriptions like this:

Increase planting pop in the high fertility areas at the bottoms of the hills
Lower pops on the eroded sidehills
Have a medium/high pop on the upland flat areas

First you need to determine the population that each of those areas will support and make a mental note of that.

Next, I used several types of spatial maps to give me a "base map" to assign rates. I used yield maps, topographical maps(Elevation), and my own field knowledge.

Now, for actually writing my prescriptions I use 50' grids. I try and get close to my finished map by using a yield map or something, but then I go to "edit" the layer and I will manually assign rates to each 50' square grid. That allows me to customize each map within 50' of field/soil conditions. Then I print those prescription maps off and carry them with me in the tractor cab. That allows me to see where i might need to make adjustments in my grid assignments when I'm actually in the field. Sometimes I end up with too high/low of a rate in some areas, and if you mark up your map while you are actually planting, then you won't make the same mistake next year.

It takes a little more work on year #1 making all those maps and manually assigning the rates, but it provides a fantastic foundation and easy customization map to build upon in future years.

(Capture.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture.PNG (126KB - 288 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)