AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aerway use in notill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 11/28/2015 08:33 (#4924006 - in reply to #4923786)
Subject: RE: Aerway use in notill

mhagny - 11/28/2015 06:41

Boone & Crockett - 11/28/2015 05:19
mhagny - 11/27/2015 19:20

It's a great way to compact your soils, much like a sheepsfoot that is used to build roads.

I agree with the other posters about applying more N -- not necessarily onto the stalks in hopes of decomposing them faster, but merely in a way that the next corn crop can access the additional N.  Also, more S and Zn help.

Matt, I am not a physics scientist, so could you please explain how Aerway compacts like a sheepsfoot? My understanding is the tine enters the ground at a different angle, and with a twist, and tears some, also shattering compaction to the level it's running in the ground. But is the point of the tine compacting the ground beneath it, or is the tine angle such that it does not? Not trying to argue, trying to learn. I liked the idea of a bazillion little water reservoirs to store surface water instead of runoff come spring.

Anything engaging the soil mechanically will ultimately cause more compaction.  Yes, there may be more pore space initially, but after a few rains, the mechanically created pore space will all run back together -- i.e., the pores are unstable because they were created mechanically (as opposed to biologically).  Because of the scrunching of the soil with the mechanical device (pressure on the points, and sideways pressure to create the pocket in the soil), those are direct increases in compaction (loss of pore space).  And because the soil disturbance causes carbon loss, there is further loss of stability in soil aggregates, which cause them to be more susceptible to crushing forces from rain and wheel traffic -- which again is ultimately more compaction (loss of pore space).

Thanks for your explanation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)