AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My thoughts on cow-calf prices / future
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 11/26/2015 07:39 (#4919493 - in reply to #4919413)
Subject: RE: My thoughts on cow-calf prices / future

western iowa,by Denison
go back and read a lot of post's and exactly what happened -was fueled by a lot of things-since the 1990's and being seriously in the red to the point of no return on the feeding end -a person had to adapt-my only saving grace is that I hooked up with the rite packers to market my fat cattle with contracts on fat cattle-back rounding calves for custom hire-doing custom work , buying the poor end of calves at the sale barn and running broken mouth cows

All of a sudden finds as at spiked higher prices with higher break evens wither a cow a calf or a yearling-add into the fact that exports have been the driving force behind the runaway prices-that actual last 30% up in the market was driven from 3% of export demand

I missed out on those $500-profits because my production was contracted-I'm missing out on some contracted prices now because I did not contract all my production-

There will be some cow-calf guys not make it-there will be feedlots that will quit-with the runaway prices basically anyone with inventory looked in great position
I have no idea where prices will go-neither does anyone else-history says down to more realistic prices-that meat finds demand at a certain price-
Some of the things I learned as feeding for customers in my feedlot-I always charged yardage-but one thing I learned is to never ever speak of my cost's-going rate back then was 20cts-I plunged down to 12cts and stayed there a long time-my cost would have been a lot higher-at the time I only said that I would do it for free, but that I had to show I would make it to next year to my banker-I have a lot of thoughts on the cattle production-every segment of the cattle industry is important-

Those guys that speak of higher prices are a lot of fun when it's a winning game-there not any good to a person left holding the bag of empty air.

Plan for the worse-hope for the best!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)