AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beef Cutting Orders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2015 15:59 (#4892757 - in reply to #4892696)
Subject: RE: Beef Cutting Orders

Driftless SW Wisconsin

MotoMatt - 11/12/2015 15:23 We are a family of four, I get the following. Steaks cut 3/4 inch thick, would like thicker but then you don't get very many. Roasts 3-4 # burger in 1#, I trust they know what a good ratio is for fat to lean and have never been sad I have minute steaks made, they are just tenderized pieces of parts usually used for roast I get the short ribs packaged for braising I keep the heart, tongue and liver, dog likes the liver, I like the other two Soup bones are nice If you like marrow bones they will do that too. Sometimes I get dried beef for SOS. Won't be much left after that.

What I do with the roasts is to keep the best ones - sirloin tip, rump; ask for some rolled roasts but have the processor grind most of the arm and chuck roasts, etc. They are much more useful and make good burger rather than leaving them as roasts.  I have also started keeping the oxtail. Also ask for some flank steak which is used in many Mexican recipes. It is surprising how little flank steak you will get out of a steer, however.

If this is a good, finished steer (not an old cow) I would not specify any given fat to lean ratio on the burger. That is a supermarket thing where they blend fat in.  If you have a good processor and good carcass, just let the grind be what it is. That will produce the best burger, not adding trim fat. I find 1 lb burger packs are too small for many meals, 2 lb is too large, so get all burger in 1-1/2 lb packages.

On the round, you can either take it as is, tenderized once into cube steak, tenderized twice into Swiss steak or have most of it ground. I take some as Swiss steak and grind the rest. There is usually a lot of round and it is more useful as good ground beef.

I also specify for everything to do a lean trim and minimum bone. I do ask for soup bones but mostly for the marrow and soup, not with a lot of meat on them. Some processors leave soup bones looking like steaks. That meat along the bone is tasty and best used in good ground beef.

Doing a good job of processing takes time and experience. Choose a good processor. It is an art.

Good luck.

edit to add: I agree with Hereford Guy's comments on stew meat. Very useful. However some processors don't like to do stew meat as it takes a lot of time and care to do a good job on it.

Edited by Jim 11/12/2015 18:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)