AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Second Attempt for Scouting Pictures (Picture Heavy)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bigswede
Posted 8/16/2015 20:03 (#4736599 - in reply to #4736518)
Subject: RE: Second Attempt for Scouting Pictures

Now for some narration

1st Set- One of our farms we pulled soil samples and tissue tests on Friday. This field got fungicide/insecticide and a final side dress right around the 4th of July. Notice there is some yellowing at the base of the plant but very little sunlight getting through and a fairly clean, green canopy. Strong ears that are almost un-dented because of strong grain fill to this point. It has about 38.5k good, harvestable ears. I'm going to attribute the yellowing at the base to a "flash drought" that affected us before last weekend. Two weeks of no rain and warm temps didn't mix with strong pops and limited root systems, overall pleased with how we weathered that and we've gotten almost 3" since then to finish grain fill with more on the way. Beans are a field of seed beans for Becks, a new number for 2016, 297R4. They have been the best looking beans until recently.

2nd Set- These are from a couple of fields in the area that I looked at for other guys. No fungicide/insecticide, one field side dressed early with NH3 the other with all pre plant N. Both fields are fired above the ear with one of the two fired well above the ear. Interesting to note that even with all the firing the ears are still trying to finish and have not black layered. The leaves that do remain green have both varieties of rust, GLS, and NCLB on them. Both also suffer from low ear counts, <27k. I'd say these fields are representative of 80+% of corn fields in the area. They look good from the road but are a train wreck inside.

3rd Set- First picture is LG2636 with about 41k good ears. Granted they aren't all this good, but it's excellent grain fill for that population. Other corn is some of the stuff we are playing around with and just general pictures. Our canopy is very clean compared to a lot of fields I've looked at. The bean pictures are exciting, these are a group 4 planted at <100k and are showing almost 800 pods/per 1/10000 acre. The sprayer is during side dressing of beans at R4+. Then some SDS showing and a picture of the residue remaining after 6 years of NT COC. Then the Mike Ditka signed football the AGPhd guys sent me for participating in the high yield corn panel at their field day. Last two pictures are the fitting of some cover plates on our round bar conclaves to help with green pods.

Any questions fire away...you can also follow me @STX500Quad on Twitter. Usually post some stuff through the week.

Edited by bigswede 8/16/2015 20:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)