AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can we define tip back please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 8/17/2015 09:34 (#4737540 - in reply to #4734672)
Subject: RE: Can we define tip back please

A little tip back, like 3/4" is an indication the plant density is high enough that the corn plant ran out of available nitrogen or water and sacrificed the little tip kernels to fill the bigger kernels.

If there's no tip back, there could have been more plants to the acre to make best use of the available nutrition.

My last corn year I had planted at 34K but applied only 111 pounds of N (8 to 12% organic matter). The main corn number was rated to be very efficient in its use of N. Planter dropped one extra seed about every 15 feet and I ran out. So I planted some couple year old seed that I had. Ran out of it and found some old DynaGro seed at a neighbor's shed. So I finished the field with that. The first two varieties tipped back about an inch, the Dyna Gro tipped back half the ear. Clearly it didn't like that limited N and 34K plant density. My custom combiner didn't have a working yield monitor, so I couldn't tell the effect of variety on yield. The whole farm produced 173.2 bushel 15% moisture corn at harvest. I can't complain.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)