AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bees are not in decline
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 7/28/2015 15:58 (#4704570 - in reply to #4704110)
Subject: RE: Bees are not in decline

North of London

Did not check your links yet but that Professor Lu published trials that have been torn apart by others in the field.
Too small a sample, etc. etc.
One thin I read in an article critical of his study was he dosage in the trial.
He started with a dosage that was close to what is expected bees would get in the natural environment and did not find any problems so after a time at these more 'normal' rates he increased the rate to many times what they would come in contact with and surprise, surprise killed the bees.

So his flawed study hit the news and bee apocalipse has been happening ever since.
In Ontario there was a big die off of colonies a few years ago during a very clod winter BUT if you dig into the numbers most of the colonies dying off belonged to a small number of honey producers while most producers did not see any unusual deaths.
The ones with high death rates also tended to move their colonies to pollinate crops like blue berries in the Maritime provinces. Long move and I understand the blue berries are not a good source of nectar as well.

Then look at numbers of hives in the world and they are growing each year and in most areas as they are in Ontario.

Some old bee keepers say the losses are from poor management, not feeding and looking after the hives adequately during a cold winter.
Other factors are vera mites and disease perhaps compounded by neonics BUT we are having neonics taken away from us in Ontario.

Here is an opinion blog by a retired Ministry of Ag employee in Ontario.
Older than me even.
http://tdaynard.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)