AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oats on PP land?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 7/2/2015 22:28 (#4658767 - in reply to #4658472)
Subject: RE: Oats on PP land?

King City, Mo
I'd go out and spray 1pt of lv6 2,4-D. It'll try any broadleaf weeds so we don't add to the twh and burr issues we already may have. Lv6 is cheap and effective.

If you want to try grasses you'll need to add in rup.

Turnips are great as they are cheap but a frost knocks the short outta the leaves. Cows can still root around after nov 1 but trying to get them in a bale of hay then would be a pita..and you'll only get a small percent of them. I know I baled some in 2012 in October after wheat.

You'll prob have to put up the hay wet so I'd look for a guy with a wrapper and plan to haul to your farm and wrap them near where your gonna feed em IMO. The guys that do baleage would know more about that part.

Sudan grass is cheap cover and lots of tonnage..after a frost it has some sorta acid that is bad for cattle.

So you go with radishes, millet, corn,forage soybeans, wheat or rye mixed in at a few lbs and spend $30/acre on seed plus $15 to drill it. Then $$ to mow, wrake, bale, haul, stack and the fertility it removed...makes cost of hay higher then you could could have bought it for....

Now of you could graze it it's worth the $30/acre on cover. If you can't graze it then kill the weeds and plant Sudan grass for $10-15/acre or plant wheat this fall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)