AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This is why I hate selling wheat...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 6/23/2015 22:17 (#4642900 - in reply to #4642591)
Subject: RE: This is why I hate selling wheat...

Sanilac Co. Michigan
swampdoc - 6/23/2015 19:42

WOW , only time I've ever seen wheat cut that wet was if flood water was coming and it was cut it or loose it, and I'm not thinking it was nearly that wet. I have to doubt if many farmers in MO, southern IL wheat country, southern IN cut wheat that wet, must be a THERE thing. Blowing air through it has to be a challenge and the numbers don't go that high in my head to figure a dock at the elevator

Here, we don't get docked for 20% or below soft white wheat, and we don't pay for drying. This is because our millers work with us to produce a quality product. Now mind you, they do apply shrink which is only fair. We also earn a premium for low DON levels. Haven't grown soft red for a few years, so can't say if the same applies to that class as to white. Regardless, you don't want to sit on it and the millers don't want you to either. They can do a better job of controlling quality post harvest than most growers can.

What I can tell you is this. If your millers really want your wheat then they really need to work with you, and you need to bring them to the table! It comes down to an honest dialogue with all parties involved and a willingness of all parties to compromise.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)