AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Latest book you read?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

MEJ
Posted 5/7/2015 08:52 (#4556408 - in reply to #4553835)
Subject: RE: Latest book you read?

Manitoba
It seems lately I've been reading more nonfiction. Including machinery manuals. I just finished "Queen Noor" . This was written by the American woman who married King Hussein and became the queen of Jordan. Very interesting perspective of the middle east from about 1980 till now.
Another book I've read about the middle east is "Blood Brothers" written by Elias Chacour. He's a Palestinian Christian who became an Arch Bishop in the Eastern Catholic church. He works for peace in the middle east and talks about how Jews, Christians, and Muslims lived together in the same villages for many generations peacefully.
Another fascinating book I've read is "Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded". This is an excellent account of the volcano that annihilated the island of Krakatoa in 1883 It produced a monstrous tsunami that killed 40,000 people, was heard as far away as Australia (theories are that it was the loudest sound in recored human history), the pressure wave was measured all over the world. The interesting thing is some of these devices were just being invented. The author goes into a lot of detail of the science behind volcanos, tectonic plates, and earthquakes. He also does a good job describing the history, geography and politics of the time. The world was just starting to become a smaller place. With faster ships, telegraph lines being laid across oceans, and the devices mentioned that could measure things happening on the other side of the world.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)