AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scours in 1 day old calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MeadowlandsBeef
Posted 4/26/2015 21:10 (#4539738 - in reply to #4539021)
Subject: RE: Scours in 1 day old calf (pics)

Northern Minnesota

GregChuckles - 4/26/2015 15:17 Here are some pics of poop I found and the calf.

Hello Greg,  Based on the pictures I agree with those who say not necessary to treat this calf at this time.   But I also agree with you that this is a little looser crap than normal and therefore OK to have some concern.  The "good" normal should be firmer.  By noticing what you did notice, if this calf takes a turn for the worse you will probably act quicker to treat than those who disregard it as totally normal.  If a person waits for pure watery scours and sunken eyes you start way late and will loose a good share of those calves.  When dealing with newborn calves, it may be possible to be too paranoid, but certainly a little paranoia is not only fine but an asset!

Furthermore (and not to add to your worrying!) one should know that some of those first day or so E. coli infections can be so "hot" as to cause death even before they start scouring.  And occasionally jumping the gun with a scours bolus or dose of electolytes certainly won't hurt anything.  Again, with scours, better to be early than late imo! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)