AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scours in 1 day old calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 4/26/2015 14:14 (#4538949)
Subject: Scours in 1 day old calf

I'm more confused then ever. I had a young cow have a calf yesterday morning, calf sucked and got colostrum within the first two hours or earlier. No problems. A few hours later, I noticed it's butt was dirty. Not overly alarmed but put me on alert since I got something else going on the herd and possible scours with others.

Ok, today butt dirty again but couldn't find stool. Calf was and has not been exposed to stress as it's been locked in the barn since being born (it's been drury and showers on and off) and I'm close to being done where they can stay in.

But the calf has loose yellow stools. The last time I went out it looks like he really let loose. But the calf everytime I'm in the barn is eating and alert (and I'm down there every couple hours or so). You know the nacho cheese looking stuff, only a lot looser than typical.

So I don't know what to think.

The other older calves that are loose are lively as well. Wanted to start treating some but they are so lively that you can't catch them, so let them be (hopefully that's a good thing).

But I'm confused. What the hell is going on here? Everything I've read says ecoli but the calf isn't 16 hours old yet. Really didn't even have time to be exposed to anything? Mommas milk just that rich?

The cow feeding program is the same, second cut alfalfa and grass hay with no grain. I've had good luck doing this and have had good rebreeding success (over 80 percent) again this year on first cycle. Only difference cows had high influx of oat hay late gestation? I don't know.

Thinking about giving the little gut a shot of excenel but really question what the right thing to do is.

Any suggestions? Any experiences?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)