AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil sample question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 1/29/2015 06:23 (#4346495 - in reply to #4346446)
Subject: RE: soil sample question?

King City, Mo
I'm glad you got the lime ordered. Local lime here is $12 plus $5 haul plus $4 spread. But Querry is 6-12mi away from a lot of guys and the trucks like to over load. So distance hauling can raise the price quick. I would apply what you can afford and have a plan for the next 3-5 years. I limed so many acres each fall until I got them all covered. Now I'm working on building p and k and micros up.

I'm glad you have a system that is working for you. I wouldn't jump to something else until I understood the pros and cons of each system. Your off to a good start not blindly following the coop lady and asking questions before you sign your check. My style of fertility is for the long term and typically works best when you own the land your farming.

Back when My brother in law was in highschool I had him spread lime for me on some weekends in the fall. I'd haul it in with my dump truck during the week and park the bobcat and cart for him. He'd get 100ish ton spread a weekend. He'd have to get out every 6tn and reload the cart.

KCL is potassium chloride aka 0-0-60 (red) or 0-0-62 (white) the cheapest form of potash here. Sometimes referred to as MOP (muriate of potash). Your other choice would be sulfate of potash or (SOP) which is typically more per ton but organically approved.

MAP is 11-52-0 and a common dry source of P.
DAP is 18-46-0 and a similar dry source of P.

AMS is 21-0-0-24s and a little harder to source but a very stable source of N and S. I have higher then ideal Mg levels on my farm so using the S to help leach off the mg as Epson salts. I have the AMS blended with ammonia nitrate for my corn and wheat nitrogen needs.

My local per ton prices here this fall were
Ams 462
Map 604
KCl 520

What is your yield goal on corn? I'm trying for 200+ here on my better soils if I get the rain for it. I had several numbers in my Agrigold plot go 200+ this year when we had an ideal corn year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)