AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil sample question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

yongfarmer89
Posted 1/29/2015 05:13 (#4346446 - in reply to #4346291)
Subject: RE: soil sample question?

whitesville new york
lawfarms - 1/28/2015 10:26

Your ca base sat is only 48.6% You need 2 ton of high ca ag lime applied.
I'd like to see your ca up to 60%. Calcium is typically the cheapest per ton fertilizer you can purchase per actual lb of nutrient. If you can't afford to do the whole farm do 1 ton on all or 2 ton on what you can afford. Just remember lime is a long term pay off not a short term so it can be expensed over 3-5 years if you can cash-flow it.

You have a lighter soil with a cec of 8.6.

Calcium is king and makes all other fertilizer work better....

Your lower then ideal on P and K also...but lets fix the lime first.

Your SOM is 5.9% so your getting somewhere around 59-118# of N released threw the growing season from the organic matter decomposition. I'm jealous as here most of my stuff is in the 3% range.

On the pasture i'd just put 100# of urea with 100# of kcl if it was here. I did 100#ams and 100# kcl on my pasture this spring and was very pleased with it. It's hard to get excited about building fertility on pastures.

I'm not a fan of the liquid fertilizer......it's hard stomach the cost per lb of nutrient in the liquid blends when your paying the bill........
You need to know the lbs per gallon and we'll use 10 as it make the math easier for me. some are less some are a little more.
10# per gallon and 10 gallon per acre is 100# of applied product per acre.
Of that 100# 6% is N, 24%P, 6%K....or 6# of actual N and K and 24# of actual P.

Figure your cost of that vrs urea, map/dap, and kcl and see which is cheaper per lb of nutrient.

First what's kcl? Actually pasture ground is at the top of my list to get right, that's where my money is made. I did order 120 ton of high cal lime and looks like it would take 420+ ton to do the whole farm. She thought it would cost around $37 dumped at the farm, she was getting all recent prices for me.

I've been very happy with the liquid. I grow some of the nicest corn on the hill and I'm the old guy using nachurs 6-26-6 @ $5 per gallon I think it weighs 11lbs per gallon. We are putting it on with the planter.

What's your thoughts on 19-19-19 and 10-20-20? I don't know if she can get the products you listed but I will ask. We're talk a small feed and seed store that I work with because of convenience and use her lime and ferlizer spreaders.

I just don't want to jump onto a program that isn't going to work as well!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)