AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Red ink-on fats this week-profit tracker
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jc1206
Posted 1/29/2015 07:07 (#4346557 - in reply to #4345128)
Subject: RE: Red ink-on fats this week-profit tracker

northern IL
garvo - 1/28/2015 15:37

Jan2012-my cattle contract -$1.30
Jan 2013-$1.30
Jan2014-$1.30
Jan 2015-$1.35
Jan 2016-can sell today at $1.48

Have not pulled the plug yet on sales-was hoping rally on Feb 2016 board-would like to see $1.60
We have 900 put together so far-My note on the 900 head today at the bank is $1,260,000

About as good as I can explain it to the cow guy-have a great

day!

I think you need to explain this to the packers not the cow guys .
The cow guy brought his calves to the sale and they sold to the highest bidder that day. The board is only a base price to look at for the packers to look at when they bid on cattle then the demand puts a basis on that base price +or -.

No disrespect to you garvo I feel your pain because I feed my own calves and when the numbers say I should sell calves instead of feeding I have a hard time asking a price that the next guy is gauranteed a loss.

I have a friend that feeds 6-700 head andchis comments for the last three years is that he sold his fats for the same price per lb as he bought his feeders for.as prices went up he had profits up to $700 so he expects when it goes down he will pay.
He complained to us cow calf guys when he bought but was quiet when he sold. And tried not to brag to us when he bought that new tractor .

And I see where jim is coming from saying the fat price needs to rise to the occassion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)