AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reel for steel wire
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/28/2015 13:48 (#4344945 - in reply to #4344869)
Subject: RE: Reel for steel wire

Driftless SW Wisconsin

cyclone0104 - 1/28/2015 13:12 Jim, have you ever rolled up 14 ga steel wire with this reel, or if not do you think it would handle it?

Yes I have one or two of these Gallagher reels full of 14 ga steel wire now - from taking down a semi permanent fence etc.  But these reels get heavy when full of 14 ga or any steel wire!!  Basically I only use them for storage of 14 ga steel.

For frequent use as in rotational grazing I initially fill these reels about 1/2 to 2/3 full with 16 ga aluminum wire.  MUCH lighter.

I'll add a picture I posted below.  This is a reel with aluminum wire I had just rolled up.  There is another reel hanging on a post in the distance blocking the other side of this narrow, on-the-contour grazing strip. These are easy to handle when partially filled with aluminum wire.  When you first start loading the wire on the drum make sure to use the wire holes on the side away from the handle.

In the picture the reel has a conductive, gate-type handle on the end of its wire. There is a non-conductive handle lying on the ground next to it which is helpful when reeling up a wire so its not hot. I insert the nonconductive handle in between the gate handle and the hot wire.  In the pic I had rolled up the wire but not yet pulled the Pigtail posts.

Jim

Edited by Jim 1/28/2015 14:05

(IMG2928Movingthewirefor5thtimethroughthisstripthisyear100414.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG2928Movingthewirefor5thtimethroughthisstripthisyear100414.JPG (158KB - 98 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)