AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Non GMO Fed Cattle from Crop Talk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/21/2014 21:13 (#4256306 - in reply to #4254912)
Subject: RE: Non GMO Fed Cattle from Crop Talk

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Rockpile - 12/21/2014 11:46 Great input regarding consumer behaviors, However, you first said you were grazing standing non gmo corn. But you say the grazing corn in the background is bt/rr ? Never seen anyone graze standing corn, but it seems like a great concept. What do you do between grazing and planting ?

I have always (5-6 years) used RR-BT corn in this system.  I did say unharvested but always been gmo on my hillside continuous corn grazing strips. I think on balance the one pass with glypho and no insecticide is a very good system for my soils climate and terrain.

The steers come off of the corn and to the processors around May 1 or sooner if they finish the corn strip sooner.

I then spread any dry fertilizer called for by the fall soil tests, if any, then run an Aerway at an angle to the corn rows. The manure spread by the grazing calves seems to be meeting most of my fertilizer needs for this corn except N and some P for starter roots.

I let the Aerwayed strips sit for a couple rains to firm up the ground and in mid May come back in with a Pluribus strip till pass between the old rows. Nice thing about the Aerway is that it breaks up compaction but doesn't turn the soil over and leaves most corn rootballs intact and in place in the soil.

With the Pluribus I put down a mix of 28% N and 10-34-0 liquid along one side of the bottom of the strip.  I've been trying to go to a 1/3 N of total N (total is around 125-150 units) in the strip and the balance 28% side dressed every other row (60" centers) with a single angled disc coulter applicator and covered.

If it is early May and I can wait a few days between stripping and planting I apply all N in the strip. If it's later in May and I want to plant the next day I split the rate. Depends on the year and what else is going on.

Follow with a 6R30 planter with row cleaners and Curvetines right down the strip.

Grazing corn can be done but access has to be carefully controlled in higher yielding areas.  Lower yielding corn has been used for winter grazing in the Canadian prairie provinces for many years.

Jim

Edited by Jim 12/21/2014 21:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)