AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

started grazing corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 12/3/2014 17:14 (#4217462 - in reply to #4217057)
Subject: RE: started grazing corn

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
Same here.. I got to thinking after posting all the info and figured I probably came off sort of arrogant and that's not what I wanted to do.. Even though I had some wonderful cattle I bred over the years there were a lot of politics when it came to shows, getting contracts, ect... I didn't care for that part of it at all.. To be honest if I had to start all over again I think I'd choose to milk Jerseys.. My sister had some registered and some grade and from what I could gather they ate less and were great on feed conversion with the high tests in BF & Protein.. I enjoyed "knowing" my cows and in the area my grt, grt. grandfather settled there is no way I could milk 500 cows with the river so close and on a back road and rolling hills.. Besides like I mentioned I like to know my cows and not have them just as numbers(guess I'm getting old) :)
I actually envy you being able to make it in todays world where it seems most small herds (anything 40-60 cows) are gone by the wayside.. I've never done much traveling but did go to PA about 5 years ago with my ex g/f and we traveled up into New York to the Bully Hill winery. Funny thing is I was looking through my dad's fridge he has in the basement for some wine the other day and he still had a bottle we'd given to my mother and he at the time(she passed 4 1/2 years ago and my dad is going to be 87 next month) I noticed a lot of PA and some of the areas in NY looked sort of like where I live except the concept of seeing a lake on the top of a mountain was a little difficult to wrap around my head for awhile. lol
Good luck~
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)