AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yield Monitor Calibration and Accuracy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

softtail
Posted 11/24/2014 15:55 (#4198789 - in reply to #4198639)
Subject: RE: Yield Monitor Calibration and Accuracy

SWMN
torn - 11/24/2014 13:59

softtail - 11/23/2014 16:06
rest assured the bushels are not placed in the correct location in the field as well if you did the calibration process correctly.

softtail - can you elaborate? Maybe I'm missing your point, but placing bushels in the field is a function of the flow delay (how long it takes for crop to get from the cutterbar to the flow sensor), which is completely different from the yield monitor calibration. Calibration is about measurement accuracy, flow delay is about placement/mapping accuracy. Put the two together, done right, and you get the correct yield measurement at the correct spot in the field. You could have a terrible calibration and still get yield properly placed in the field. It will just be the wrong yield. Doing a calibration by the book won't improve placement, just measurement accuracy.

First mistake that people make is they dont do a very low flow and a very high flow. With out doing them you are only speculating on the flow according to the graph that the system makes in the background.
example. customer went and did multiple calibrations from 300bph to 1500bph but did not push the combine on the highest flow. now when normally combining when he hits a high yld area there is actually maybe 2500 bph up the elevator. so the system only is calibrated on the money up to 1500 its only guessing or going off of its calculations at anything over that. same thing pertains to low flows. Corn i make my guys do 6 cal loads or more if they havent found the max bph yet. soybeans im ok with 4.

theres more to placing the bushels correctly than flow delay. system has to know the capacity of the combine also. Flow delay is important also i agree with that. I strive for less than 1% off. maybe thats too tight for a lot of people but typically if all componants are up to snuff and we cal through the whole flow rate, normally our test loads afterward are less than half of one percent off. I have many years in my own operation that the total bushels that my monitor says harvested and shrunk are under 2% off when hauled to the elevator throughout the following year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)