AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4440 rear axle seal leaking grease (left side)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 10/23/2014 19:33 (#4141856 - in reply to #4140824)
Subject: Update and photos

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

First, Thanks everyone.

ronm: I quickly did your test, this morning and didn't feel anything; but I had other projects to get done, first.

These photos, were at the end of last night about after about 80 miles, of driving; SINCE I wiped it clean, with a shop towel, out in the field.

Now, This morning, I wiped it off, But I also removed tranny oil filler cap(didn't seem dirty) I could blow thru it (with air compressor) and felt air out rim of filler cap. I still removed rubber gasket and used brake cleaner and compressed air to blow thru cap again and again. Reinstalled rubber gasket, inside cap, screwed back on the filler tube. {did add 3 pumps of grease to axle=I don't want to go without grease}

Took two separate loads, to grain elevator and put wagons in field(rained last night) Roughly 43 miles, today. Axle doesn't have any grease droplets, after this morning's driving.(not dry, by any means, just no droplets)

Got projects done, and at 5:30 PM, got dial indicator and magnetic base and went from axle housing to axle shaft. Zero'd dial indicator; Jacked up tractor so tire was off the ground and got .0031"-.0035" (did it 3 times) {Note: tires have fluid in them, and some iron weights, also)

(4440 leaking axle 004.jpg)

(4440 leaking axle 005.jpg)

(4440 leaking axle 006.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4440 leaking axle 004.jpg (96KB - 334 downloads)
Attachments 4440 leaking axle 005.jpg (66KB - 337 downloads)
Attachments 4440 leaking axle 006.jpg (63KB - 335 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)