AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weaning calves (help)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

s205
Posted 9/2/2014 15:30 (#4052078)
Subject: Weaning calves (help)

Fayette Co, Iowa
Raised cattle all my life..... But the past 12 years I have been running stock cows/calves. I try too wean the calves around Labor day (depending on the weather) This Friday threw Monday No rain, 70 degrees for highs, 54 over night lows. Im thinking of weaning them off the cows. Do I (A) Weaning the calves and work them right away, OR (B) Wean them and wait for the stress to go away , Like two weeks after there weanedthen run them threw the chute?? They will weight 500-550, And they will be in a dirt/cement lot on the same farm as the cows. Ive never weaned calves then waited to work them later. Just wondering if that help or hurts them as far as stressing the calf twice??
They are on a creep feeder with cracked corn, oats, and some 32%. Running with cows on creek pasture. They need to be poured, a few need to be banded, a few need tags (because I do). And there shots. Im top dressing with 4G Crumbles twice a day as soon as there weaned for one week. Pictures tonight after in get in. Thanks for any help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)