AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any where to balance large fans on a dryer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

150pilot
Posted 9/1/2014 08:30 (#4049871 - in reply to #4049819)
Subject: RE: Any where to balance large fans on a dryer?

New London, Wisconsin
There is a way, but you need to find the right people in your area. Dryer fans and aircraft props can be balanced the same way and the aircraft propellor balancing industry does exactly what you need done. For $150 I had this done on a plane I used to own that caused a lot of vibration but ran perfectly fine. The process is to hook vibration sensors and a special program from a laptop to your engine and place a small reflective tape on one prop/fan blade. Then an electric eye is mounted firmly in a place where it can see the reflective tape. The fan/prop is run at its normal speed because that is the speed it needs to be balanced for and readings are taken by the computer. A program in the computer then tells you how much weight needs to be added at the prop/fan hub by adding a washer under the correct bolt. A variety of washer weights/ thicknesses is valuable to have as you may need a size different than a typical prop bolt. It's been about 15-20 years since I had this done, but now that I think about it I would like to get the newer plane, and my current grain dryer done as well. The whole process was 20 minutes, and made such a difference it was worth well more than I paid. The fix was also permanent. If you ever need to change a fan or prop and it goes back on with the bolts/washers in a different order you will be starting over. I doubt a motor shop can help with this, the vibration comes from the fan blade being a we bit out of balance and the washers fix that.

A local aircraft repair center should help you find this person but they are not on every corner so you may need to ask several people to find the right guy.

Here is a more complete explanation:

http://www.aviationvibes.com/Dynamic_Prop_Balancing.html
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)