AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cbot gambling vs investing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

kggonzo
Posted 8/30/2014 13:27 (#4047168)
Subject: cbot gambling vs investing

Northeast Nebraska and Candelaria Philippines
I'm going to have some available funds ($10,000 to $50,000) to invest in the coming months. Planning on funding my equity indexed universal life policy to the max, and then will have some other money to invest.

In the past, I was an active spec trader. In 2004 (when I was 27) I put 10,000 in an account and sold bean puts, and then doubled up, and doubled up again, and again. I grew that 10k into 130,000 at the peak within a few months. Then as it crashed, I ended up owing my broker another 30k. Ooops....

Since that time, my finances haven't gone so well, so I've stayed out of the market except occasionally putting on 1 or 2 positions.

I'm 37 and single have no kids, and have a pretty high risk tolerance. I also don't have much of a net worth, this income I have to invest is new income from a new venture that is working out for me.

I like selling options. I stay informed on ag market fundamentals. Years ago, I had a broker, but now use Ameritrade and trade the positions myself.

My question is this. How do you trade as an investor instead of a gambler? How do you control your emotions on your trades, and how do you learn when to get out of a trade that is going against you?

I have some ideas on this, but want to see what others have to say.

An example of a trade I'm wanting to make is this. I don't know what direction this market is going to go, but if it would decline to a value that I would consider under valued I'd like to sell dec 15 corn puts.

Edited by kggonzo 8/30/2014 13:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)