AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FPS called due to "lightning threat"?? What a farse!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 8/28/2014 11:24 (#4042966)
Subject: FPS called due to "lightning threat"?? What a farse!

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
I got to the grounds about 7:30, did hear one distant rumble of light thunder, but mainly just a steady light to moderate rain falling. After I entered the grounds @ 8 the loudspeakers were proclaiming that if there was lightning in the area, people would be asked to leave the grounds & go to their cars. No mention of calling the show off. At about 8:30 the loudspeakers came on again & told everyone a "storm was approaching" and to evacuate the grounds & the show would be closed. They said exhibitors needed to leave too and would be allowed back in later to tear down. I was at the far end of the exhibit field at that time & took me about a half hour to make it back to my vehicle and another 20 minutes or so to get out of the lot. Once again, I never heard thunder or saw lightning, just steady light rain AND I didn't see ANY exhibitors vacating, but most immediately began taking down booths etc. Even had to walk around 2 semis that were backing in to hook up to stuff.
Seemed to me more of a knee-jerk reaction....
After I got back, radar looked like rain would have all been past by 10-10:30 or so....

Edited by greenswede 8/28/2014 11:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)