AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NO DOT inspection required in MN.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Offroadnt
Posted 8/13/2014 08:53 (#4016306 - in reply to #4015617)
Subject: RE: NO DOT inspection required in MN.

Southern Alberta Canada
We don't require them in Alberta either. Not being certified doesn't mean they are exempt from being roadworthy. DOT runs programs over the last number of years where they setup on a local site and you run your trucks to them, they will go through them and put their quarterly sticker on them or have you fix anything that doesn't meet standards first. It's free of charge and they do it before the beet run here in Southern Alberta. With the sticker they will basically leave you alone if they don't see anything obvious when they see you on the road. They also setup portable scales and scale houses at random points around the province where all trucks are required to go through for weights and inspection, just like permanent scales. I've seen crews of over twenty people working these sites. I think the vast majority of farmers do a decent job maintaining their trucks. I've seen trucks unable to pass inspection less then a week after certification. A driver can skid trailer tires while driving out of the yard, break lights off while getting loaded, burn up brakes the first ten miles, any number of things, the certification is only guaranteed at the time of the inspection, that's why they have date and time on the inspection forms.
Also learned the other day there are mechanics still doing drive by inspections in the cities at least, last few years I did inspections out here they were cracking down. One observation I made was during their audits they seem to be concentrating more on the paperwork and if you have the proper tools then if you are actually doing the inspections. Last couple years they were out they didn't even check the equipment I certified, spent all their time in the office checking paperwork and taking pictures of my tools.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)